Friday, September 8, 2017

Getting data from the Web in PowerBI

The latest update of PowerBI has access to data from very many sources shown here:


In this post getting data from the web will be described.

Getting data from the web is quite easy if the web page has tables of data and is accessible without providing authentication such as many of the public web pages like Wikipedia.

Get Data | Other brings up the list of the data sources the first of which is Web.


Click Connect at the bottom of the Get Data page. This brings up the window where you type-in the url of your source, in this case that of the Wikipedia link.


Click OK.

The Navigator gets displayed with all the different tables of information on the page as shown.



I choose the Population composition trend by religion between the years 1951 to 2011 for every 10 years.

The data that will be loaded into PowerBi is shown here.


I then click the load button at the bottom of the navigator.

In order to show the minority religions in India, I remove Hinduism although it has been on the decline in the duration considered (5.11% decrease from 1951 to 2011).

The unwanted rows can be removed using the following menu option.

I remove Hinduism from this data set.


You can remove 1 or more rows from the data set. I have also removed the data for 2011 as there appears to be an import problem of the data.

This image shows the visualization settings.


Now the final data for creating a clustered chart is as shown.

You surely agree, a chart tells a much better story than a bunch of data.

I will troubleshoot the data for 2011 which presented some problems in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not paying this invoice. I am disregarding it, becuase....

 I am not paying this invoice because MICROSOFT has not provided me with a satisfactory way to access my account since June of this year des...