Tuesday, May 11, 2010

phpBB brings interoperability with SQL Servers on Windows OS

One of the bastions of LAMP has arrived at Windows OS with full regalia . This highlights two facts, firstly Microsoft's increasing willingness to accept PHP despite the rich flora and fauna of .NET technology; secondly the world got that much larger with ability to fork out in other directions. It is not just because Microsoft is nice, but because PHP user-base is large and sky is the limit for the cloud. Most importantly it is free.

There are a number of databases including SQL Server 2000 and abvee that this driver can configure connections. The list of databases that is supported is in the read me file.
Where to get phpBB3?
It may be downloaded from here.[http://www.phpbb.com/]

Installation basic steps:
1. Unpack the zip file and place it in the root directory of your web server or a directory accessible by the web server. In my case (Windows 7), I have used C:\inetpub\wwwroot. Make sure you make the config.php altered to have write permission.

2. After you have done this, assuming your IIS7 is working, browse to the index.php in the web folder from within the IIS 7 console as shown.





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

You should see the following web page:



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now click on Install button and on the displayed page click Proceed to next. In the displayed page scroll down on the right to see if you have a game waiting. Looks like I have both MySQl and SQLServers. Actually I have at least 3 or 4 SQL Servers on this machine. Too bad it did not recognisze by SQL Anywhere server.
 

Well you can also use an ODBC connection.
I believe this can connect to SQL Azure on Windows Azure as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not paying this invoice. I am disregarding it, becuase....

 I am not paying this invoice because MICROSOFT has not provided me with a satisfactory way to access my account since June of this year des...