SQL Server 2014 has lots of new stuff. If you worked with SQL Server 2012 it is time to upgrade. If you experimented with SQL Server 2014 CTP1, you need to completely uninstall it.
Here are some highlights of this edition:
You can download SQL Server 2014 from the Technet Evaluation Center here:
You can also download the express version here:
You get the following programs in the express edition:
- LocalDB (SqlLocalDB)
- Express(SQLEXPR)--Database Engine only
- Express with Tools(SQLEXPRT)---Install & Configure database server+ SSMS
- SQL Server Management Studio Express(SQLManagementStudio)
- Express with Advanced Services(SQLEXPRADV)--includes Full Text Search & Reporting Services
- .NET 3.5 SP1 is a requirement and is not installed by set up.
Download the above from here:
- .NET 4.0 is also a requirement but the installaiton program downlaods and installs it.
- PowerShell 2.0 is also a prerequisite and you have to install it if it is not present.
Full list can be accessed here:
- Enterprise and Business Intelligence versions installs only on Windows Servers (2012 and 2008 R2)
- Standard Edition can be installed on Windows 7(x32 and x64) and windows 7 SP1(Ultimate to Professional)
- SQL Developer covers the widest Windows operating Systems.
- SQL Express can be installed on above mentioned Servers as well Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and windows 7 SP1