Monday, January 22, 2018

Restoring legacy database to SQL Server 2017 using Microsoft SQL Operations Studio

You can restore a database to SQL Server using the SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS). It is a feature rich tool for restoring and backing up databases. Besides restoring and backing up SSMS can carry out a ton of other tasks.

Here is an example of using SSMS to restore a database to SQL Server.

Why use Microsoft SQL Opertions Studio?

For one thing it has small foot print and it is free (preview now). It is lightweight and can do only a few of the things. You can restore a database with fewer clicks than with SSMS.

On my Windows 10 Professional, I have installed SQL Server 2017 Developer edition. I will restore the Northwind database from its backup file on CodePlex. Being a preview, Microsoft SQL Operations Studio has a few kinks and I have a workaround to bypass the kink and get the result.

Watch the video for the restore opeation:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-KOXjlRACSU

Restore operation using Windows PowerShell
https://hodentekmsss.blogspot.com/2016/03/easy-way-to-backup-sql-server-database.html

Read many more related PowerShell posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not paying this invoice. I am disregarding it, becuase....

 I am not paying this invoice because MICROSOFT has not provided me with a satisfactory way to access my account since June of this year des...